FUN FACTS ABOUT ENGINEERING
Engineering personnel, or tech gurus work hard to change the world and also come up with with new ideas and innovation.
Engineering Fun Facts you should know: Step away from all of that hard work you do and indulge in some interesting engineering fun facts.
- The word engineer comes from a Latin word ingenium meaning ‘cleverness’
- The first self proclaimed Civil engineer was John Smeaton, who constructed the Eddystone Lighthouse.
- An Engineer Invented The Snowboard; The snowboard has become a wonder of geometry, chemistry and also bio-mechanics. The design allows the athlete to make precise turns with less exertion.
- Engineers and Animators Work Together on your Favorite Movies; Computer engineers work alongside animators to create special effects in the movie industry.
- The launch and Return of Spacecraft is an Engineering Victory; The space program would not be possible without the progress by engineers in materials, structures, computers and energy.
- Thank an Engineer for that Fun Water Slide; A water slide uses a pump to circulate the correct amount of water to go down the slide. There is no ride without the right amount of water.
- The Ferris Wheel is one of the Greatest Engineering Wonders; The very first Ferris Wheel was created by Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania engineer, George W. Ferris, in 1893. The 140-foot steel towers and 45 foot axle was the largest piece of constructed steel at the time. The London Eye in England is now the largest Ferris wheel in Europe, standing at a height of 135 metres (442 feet).
- The longest street in the world is the Toronto’s Yonge street, which has a length of 1,178 miles (1,896 km