- NIGERIA PORT AUTHORITY TO BEGIN RECONSTRUCTION OF COLLAPSED BERTHS
- KIGALI CITY WETLAND MASTER PLAN TO GENERATE OVER US$155M ANNUALLY
- ZIMBABWE FACING ACUTE POWER SHORTAGE
- GERD DAM TALKS SET TO TAKE PLACE BETWEEN SUDAN, ETHIOPIA & EGYPT
- GAFI SIGN MoU WITH CHINESE COMPANY FOR ESTABLISHMENT OF INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX IN EGYPT
When i was an undergraduate student back then, we always refer to ourselves as the mother of engineering. Because we feel that we are in a profession that gives birth to so many careers. This article is a guide for all civil engineers to understand what is important before going to site. The items various from basic terms, tests, code etc.
TEST ON CONCRETE
There are basically two type of concrete testing namely; test on fresh and hardened concrete. Concrete testing is vital because it helps you;
To detect the variation of quality of concrete being supplied for a given specification.
To know whether the concrete has develop strength
- Minimum thickness of slab is 125 mm.
- Water absorption should not be more than 15 %
- Free fall of concrete is allowed maximum to 1.50m.
- PH value of the water should not be less than 6.
- Electrical conduits shall not run in column.
- Water cement ratio for different grades of concrete shall not exceed 0.45 for M20 and above and 0.50 For M10 / M15.
- Earth work excavation for basement above 3 m should be stepped form
- In steel reinforcement binding wire required is 8 kg per MT.
- A set of cube tests shall be carried out for each 30 cum of concrete / each levels of casting / each batch of cement.
- Cement shall be stored in dry places on a raised platform about 200mm above floor level and 300mm away from walls.
The following highlighted are the few important things an engineer should be aware of before going to site.
For more related articles, Please visit GambetaNews