The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. British High Commission is looking for Intern to work in the Oil and gas sector in Nigeria.
The Intern who will be based in the UK Government’s trade team in Lagos is to support the Head of Energy. He will focus on maximising the export of British goods and services to the Energy sector. This will comprise everything from oil and gas, gas to power and renewable energy sectors in Nigeria and West Africa. It will also include relationship building with major local players in the relevant sectors in Nigeria.
The Intern will help to identify potential opportunities for UK supply chain energy companies. The intern will also support UK energy supply chain companies by facilitating commercial partnerships that result in UK businesses landing deals that generate exports from the UK into West Africa. It will also involve working closely with the UK’s Department for International Trade’s Oil & Gas and Energy teams and specialists, based in London, along with UK government teams across the UK and UK Export Finance, as well as prosperity colleagues in DFID, PROSPERITY, across FCO in Nigeria, Ghana and beyond.
- Under the directorship of the Head of Energy; identifying and delivering a pipeline of commercial opportunities in Nigeria and wider West Africa for UK companies in the O & G/Energy sectors, in consultation with the relevant teams and specialists in the UK’s Department for International Trade and the DIT Africa Energy Director.
- Implementing and delivering a multi-year High Value Campaign for Oil & Gas in West Africa to support UK companies in bidding for and winning multi-million pound commercial deals.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Assisting the Head of Energy in daily tasks and activities towards improving trade in the sector for UK companies, with the end goal of driving and delivering the high value oil and gas campaign.
- Understanding different sectors of Oil and Gas operations in view of assisting UK companies tie into appropriate work packages as opportunity arises
- Creativity in assisting the Head of Energy to design disruptive strategies that will assist with increasing export
- Provide prompt and sound feedback on Oil and Gas/Energy and general enquiries.
- Identifying & posting Export Opportunities and entering operational activities on Data Hub
- Assisting the Head of Energy with trade missions, event planning and execution.
- Providing administrative support for the section: Taking minutes at team & external meetings; updating the forward Look calendar and arranging appointments, flights etc.
- Carrying out detailed sector specific research
- Substituting for other interns when on leave
- Fluent written and spoken English
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in the Energy sector
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills, self motivated and results driven
- Great team player, able to build working relationships and work very well across teams
- Good client engagement and networking skills
- Strong IT skills in Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
- Able to adapt to a quick changing and evolving business environment; deliver in the face of uncertainty; and work proactively and autonomously
- Ability to work with people at all levels of seniority in an international environment and within a fast paced, results orientated organisation
- Engineering background