MTN Nigeria Plc’s new set of board members made up of highly experienced professionals who will revolutionize the telecom sector.
MTN Nigeria Plc by September 2, 2019 will be having an entirely new set of Board members; The new board will be led by former Executive Chairman, Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) Dr. Ernest Ndukwe.
According to a statement on Wednesday (24th July, 2019) signed by the company’s secretary Uto Ukpanah; Dr. Ernest Ndukwe will be replacing MTN’s pioneer Chairman Paschal Dozie whose 18 years tenure will be expiring on September 2, 2019; in accordance and compliance with applicable codes of corporate governance of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).
The other MTN board members who will also be retiring alongside Paschal Dozie are MTN Vice chairman Col. Sanni Bello (RTD) and four(4) other Non-Executive Directors namely: Chief Victor Odili, Mallam Ahmed Dasuki, Babatunde Folawiyo; and Gbenga Oyebode.
New MTN Nigeria Plc Board members
The 12 new MTN Nigeria Plc board members who will also be in charge of the affairs of the telecoms giant for the next 18 years includes;
- Non-Executive Director, Dr. Omobola Johnson – Nigeria’s pioneer Minister of Communication and Technology
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Mr. Muhammad K. Ahmad – Pioneer Director-General and Chief Executive Officer of Nigeria’s National Pension Commission (PENCOM),
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. Andrew Alli – Former Chief Executive Officer of Africa Finance Corporation (AFC)
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Mr. Michael Onochie Ajukwu – Independent Director at Sterling Bank Plc and also Director at Novotel Hotel
- Non-Executive Director, Mrs. Ifueko Okauru – Former Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS)
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. A.B. Mahmoud, SAN – Immediate past President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Mr. Rhidwaan Gasant – Independent Non-Executive Director at AngloGold Ashanti Limited (Gold).
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. Ralph Mupita – Group Chief Financial Officer & Executive Director at MTN Group Ltd
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. Paul Norman – Group Chief Human Resources and Corporate Affairs Officer at MTN Group Ltd
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. Jens Schulte-Bockum – Group Chief Operating Officer at MTN Group Ltd.
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. Rob Shuter –Group President, CEO & Executive Director at MTN Group Ltd.
- Non-Executive Director, Mr. Karl Toriola – Group Vice President for West and Central Africa at MTN Group Ltd.
Good tidings for telco transformation
In a world where dominance is key, and with this calibre of industry leaders who will be sitting at the helm of affairs of MTN Nigeria Plc for the next 18 years, the company is certainly positioning itself to remain at the top.
Having recently successfully listed at the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), the combination of expertise and experience of these board members across the worlds of technology, finance, regulatory and policy development and corporate governance offers a huge synergistic set of skills that will be of great benefit, especially as they move into this new phase of growth.
This set of new brains and smart people will not only drive growth in MTN Nigeria Plc, as analyst are optimistic that they will also revolutionize Nigeria’s telecoms sector.