- PROVISION OF GRID CONNECTED STREET LIGHTS
- ASSESSMENT AND DESIGN OF INCOMPLETE ROADS AND ASSOCIATED INFRASTRUCTURE
- IMF ATTRIBUTES NIGERIA’S SOCIAL PROTEST TO ECONOMIC DIFFICULTIES
- TENDER OPPORTUNITY: PROVISION OF FIBER BANDWIDTH SERVICES
- MINISTER FOR WORKS SAYS NIGERIA GOVT. ARE STILL OWING ROAD CONTRACTORS
The Nigerian Institute of Building, NIOB has released a statement that the constant building collapse in the country will continue as developer still perform the function of building engineers.
President of NIOB, Kunle Awobodu made the remark during the survey of the first story building in Nigeria which was built in 1842 (Shitta Bey Mosque) and Water House by Candido Da Rocha, which was built in 1946.
According to NIOB President, majority of the materials used for some of these pre-independence buildings were not imported.
Quoting Awobodu, “The system of construction in Nigeria is not acceptable, that is why buildings are collapsing. The issue is about substandard materials and lack of professional touch. For instance, in Lagos, the majority of the residential buildings were handled by developers without the input of professionals that can be held responsible and also have the integrity to protect.”
He further call for the developer who only invest their money but never supervised the project to have a construction team led by a builder who is going to think more of quality, integrity rather than compromise simply because of profit.
Read full details on the Vanguard