- GHANA PRESIDENT VISIT CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AT ADENTAN MUNICIPALITY
- PROVISION OF BUYER SERVICES AT CHILEWA INVESTMENTS LIMITED
- COILED TUBING AND PUMPING FIELD SUPERVISION SERVICES AT CHILEWA INVESTMENTS LIMITED
- OPERATIONS WIRELINE SUPERINTENDENCE AT CHILEWA INVESTMENTS LIMITED
- POWER-2-POWER SUMMIT 2019
The Republic of Liberia celebrates its 171 years of independence
The Republic of Liberia is a country on the West African coast. Did you know that ‘Liberia’ is actually Latin and translates to ‘Land of the Free’? Now you do.
The American Colonization Society founded the republic of Liberia in 1821 as a place for free African Americans to migrate to. More than 10,000 made the journey across the Atlantic, aided by the society, until Liberia declared independence in 1847. Joseph Jenkins Roberts, a freed slave from Virginia, became the first president in Liberia.
The Republic of Liberia is bordered by Sierra Leone to the northwest, Guinea to the north, Ivory Coast to the east, and the Atlantic Ocean to the south and west. It is the 102nd largest country in the world in terms of land area.
To celebrate this day, we would like to tell you interesting facts about the West African nation for your enjoyment.
- Liberia is the only country in Africa with native Africans that is founded by the people of United States.
- The beaches of Liberia are spectacular but only the strongest swimmers would venture into the sea. The surf is high and the currents strong.
- The Sapo National Park is one of the 261 natural wonders of the world. Home to the world-famous pygmy hippopotamus.
- It is one of just two African countries with a female leader.
- The capital city of Monrovia is home to the Liberia National Museum, with exhibits on national culture and history.
- The world’s biggest cruise ships are all registered in Liberia, mostly because the employment laws are less stringent there.
- Liberia is among the 20 countries on Earth that smoke the fewest cigarettes per capita, which is about 104 per adult per year.
- The country is literally a bird-haven. Liberia has 700 bird species which include a bird that is a wee bit larger than a honey bee- the bee warbler.
- Liberia is popular for its detailed decorative and ornate masks, large and miniature wood carvings of realistic human faces.
The most admired world’s icon Nelson Mandela, was born in Liberia. Also Oprah Winfrey traced her DNA ancestry to be partly from Liberia’s Kpelle ethnic group. Liberia serves as one of the biggest exporters of iron ore in Africa.