Cape Verde celebrated its 43rd Independence day on 5th July, 2018
The republic of Cape Verde also known as Cabo Verde is an island nation on an archipelago of volcanic origin in the Atlantic Ocean off the northwestern coast of Africa.
Fun and Interesting Facts about the country
- The name of the islands originates from the Cap-Vert peninsula in West Africa.
- It is also located in the central Atlantic Ocean approximately 570 kilometers (350 miles) off the western coast of the African continent, near Senegal, The Gambia, and Mauritania.
- The country is a cluster of ten islands with 9 of the islands.
- The islands are in two groups The Barlavento Islands (windward islands)and The Sotavento Islands (leeward islands).
- Cape Verde beaches are among the most beautiful in the world.
- Cape Verde has one of the most stable democratic government in Africa.
- Santiago is the archipelago’s biggest island, both in size and population.
- In 1876, slave trade in the country was no more .
- According to Portuguese official records, the first discoveries were made by Genoa-born António de Noli, who was afterwards appointed governor by Portuguese King Afonso V.
- The official unit of currency is the Cape Verdean Escudo (CVE), which is 100 centavos.
- Cape Verde became an overseas province in 1951 and finally became independent on 5th July, 1975.