- SECURING SUSTAINABLE, QUALITY, AND INNOVATIVE INFRASTRUCTURE SOLUTIONS BY AFRICANS, FOR AFRICA
- STADE DE YAMOUSSOUKRO CONSTRUCTION IS NEARING COMPLETION
- EGYPT’S NEW CAR MARKET CAN ACCOMMODATE UP TO 4,000 CARS
- PHOTO UPDATE: CONSTRUCTION OF MODERN BOARDING SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND IN ADDIS ABABA
- ESWATINI LAUNCHES NATIONWIDE REHABILITATION OF ROADS
Kenya Railway added 40 coaches to Ruiru-Nairobi route to ease congestion and reduce travel time
Kenya Railways has added 40 coaches to Ruiru-Nairobi route. This 40 coaches will ease congestion on the Thika superhighway and drastically reduce travel times for workers.
Kenya Railway Managing Director Philip Mainga said “This is part of our masterplan for Nairobi to phase out old coaches. We plan to bring the new ones on board.”
According to Mainga, the first batch of 20 coaches will be operational in July as part of a more comprehensive programme to decongest Nairobi traffic.
Meanwhile, Kenya Railway is seeking to grow commuter numbers from the current 300,000 passengers monthly. The plan is to have two million over the next two years in Nairobi.
Mainga also said “We have been rehabilitating the coaches in phases and we have made good progress for operating the railway line with modern refurbished coaches together with the new UDM that will be coming on board soon.”
The capital city’s Central Business District and Residential areas will benefit from the new coaches. These initiatives will aim to modernise and upgrade the Nairobi Commuter Rail Service.
The state agency also disclose that the coaches were redo locally.