The European construction company STRABAG has started work on the further expansion of the water supply system in the Volta region of Ghana. This will give a further 89,000 people access to clean drinking water. The order volume is around € 11.5 million and the project will be completed by July 2022.
The current order is the third phase of a series of projects that has been running since autumn 2012 with a total order volume of approx. € 27.5 million for the planning, delivery and construction of a functionally safe water supply with a drinking water treatment system and a distribution network, from which a total of 170,000 people benefit. This third phase includes:
• 23 km of transport pipelines
• 147 km distribution network
• 160 tapping points (so-called standpipes for several houses for joint use)
• three water towers with 50 m3 each
• one water tower with 160 m3 capacity
• a deep tank (240 m3) with pumping station and photovoltaic system