- CESA INFRASTRUCTURE INDABA 2021: ENCOURAGING THE TOUGH DISCUSSIONS NEEDED TO DRIVE SA’S ECONOMIC RECOVERY
- CESA INFRASTRUCTURE INDABA 2021 DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS COMPLEX REALITIES OF PROFESSIONALISING THE PUBLIC SERVICE: GROUP EFFORT ESSENTIAL TO PREVENT A FAILED STATE
- IS AFRICA’S ENERGY SECTOR READY FOR MORE DATA CENTRES?
- USD 13.9MILLION ELECTRICITY PROJECT INAUGURATED TO SUPPLY MORE THAN 12,000 HOMES IN COMOROS
- FIRST HOSPITAL SPECIALISED IN MATERNITY AND CHILDREN IN THE HORN OF AFRICA, DJIBOUTI
Tanzania turn to AfDB for Power and Airport projects funding
Tanzania President Magufuli said that the country is in talks with the African Development Bank (AfDB) to finance two mega projects. These projects are Stiegler’s Gorge hydroelectric plant project and the modernization of Dodoma Airport.
According to the president, the expectation is that construction of these projects will begin July.
AfDB President, Mr Adesina Akinwumi said despite the country’s focus on the two projects, the bank is also seeking alternative sources of energy that will help boost the country’s development.
Recently the government launched the first phase of power generation project –Kinyerezi II power plant. The plant has an installed capacity of 240MW.
Completion of Stiegler’s Gorge project and the remaining phases of the Kinyerezi power plant, and other energy projects will produce 3,780MW electricity. This will in turn also increase the country’s total installed electricity generation capacity to 5,293.3MW.
The country hopes these energy projects will greatly boost the power generation capabilities, and also solve its persistent power woes. The Stiegler’s Gorge power project will see the construction of the largest dam in Tanzania. This could certainly even allow it to sell off surplus energy to the neighboring countries.