- THE RETURN OF THE GARDEN CITY
- THE YOUNG ENGINEERS VIEW: WHERE DO YOU STAND?
- Protecting lives and livelihoods: CESA unpacks skills development and sustainability in the construction industry
- Building Long Term Power Partnerships
- Electric mining vehicles and fast battery chargers are set to offer safer and more sustainable mining in Africa
Info on the Togolese Republic as its marks its 58th Independence Anniversary today (27th April, 2018).
Togo officially known as Togolese Republic is one of the smallest countries in Africa with an estimated population of 7.6 million. From the 11th -16th century marked the migration of various tribes into the region. Togo and its surrounding region earned the name “The Slave Coast” because from the 16th -18th century the coastal region was a major trading center for Europeans to search for slaves. In 1884, Germany declared a region including present-day Togo as a protectorate called Togoland. While after World War I, rule over Togo was transferred to France. On April 27th Togo celebrated its independence from France on April 27 1960.
Interesting and fun facts about Togo
- Togo is a country in West Africa bordered by Ghana to the west, Benin to the east and Burkina Faso to the north. It extends south to the Gulf of Guinea.
- it is a tropical, sub-Saharan nation, with agriculture as its major source of revenue , cause its climate provides good growing seasons. While the official language is English
- Togo National Museum is located in the capital of Lomé. Founded in 1975, it houses ethnographical, cultural and also artistic exhibits.
- The largest market in Togo Lomé Grand Market is located in its capital city Lomé. The market usually has live performance by local perfomers.
- Lomé is the capital and largest city of Togo. Located on the Gulf of Guinea, Lomé is the country’s administrative and industrial center and its chief port.
- The green stripes in Togo’s flag symbolise hope and agriculture
- Education in Togo was compulsory only for six years? This is mainly because of teacher shortages and poor infrastructure.
- Benjamin Kudjow Thomas Boukpeti holds the record of wining Togo’s first medal ever? This dual Togolese-French citizenship holder won a bronze medal in the K1 slalom kayak event at Beijing Olympics in 2008.
- You are to bargain for everything you purchase at market. You should offer about one-half of the first price quoted by the vendor.
- Togolese carry everything on their heads – one banana, a fully-assembled ceiling fan, up to 300 eggs, firewood, a big basket of chickens, or a 5- gallon pan of water.
- The Rhinoceros Beetle in Togo can be up to 8 cms long.
- Togo has a Voodoo Market and many other colourful markets.
Togo is really a fun place to visit and experience amazing cultures.