- NIGERIA PORT AUTHORITY TO BEGIN RECONSTRUCTION OF COLLAPSED BERTHS
- KIGALI CITY WETLAND MASTER PLAN TO GENERATE OVER US$155M ANNUALLY
- ZIMBABWE FACING ACUTE POWER SHORTAGE
- GERD DAM TALKS SET TO TAKE PLACE BETWEEN SUDAN, ETHIOPIA & EGYPT
- GAFI SIGN MoU WITH CHINESE COMPANY FOR ESTABLISHMENT OF INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX IN EGYPT
Back then in Rivers state polytechnic Bori, i was taught and made to believe that civil engineering is the mother of engineering. It is so important and vital that every sector in the economy can’t do without it.
Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment which includes works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings.
The Engineering discipline has seen so many breakthrough in the past and present through the application of physical and scientific principles in solving societal problems. Some of such breakthroughs includes Chichen Itza, The Akashi Kaikyō Bridge, Oosterscheldekering, Falkirk Wheel, Hoover Dam, and not forgetting the various skyscrapers that are seen all over the UAE and in most developed nation of the world.
Engineers are constantly solving problems they didn’t know they had, so with problems arising only a daily basis, it is important that engineers particularly civil engineers possess skills that can be used to tackle such problems. The following listed below are the five major skills that are required by any civil engineer.
1. Technical skill: A good civil engineer should have a level of understanding of both mathematics and physics because solving engineering problems entails you identifying it. E.g. A structural engineer should be able to accurately work out how much weight is being distributed throughout a bridge.
2. Project Management skill: It is important that a civil engineer is able effectively handle a task and manage the diverse team of professional while maintaining the confidence of his client. When challenges arise individuals normally looks to the engineer for guidance and resolution.
3. Communication skill: Communication is very important in all aspects of engineering. In Civil engineering it involves communicating with management, clients, workers, team members and the ability to listen and benefit from ideas of other team members.
4. Creative skill (Creativity): Engineers need to be innovative and constantly improve on every challenges by proffering solution because their role is applying engineering principle to develop solution within the built environment.
5. Critical Thinking skill: Complex problems are faced daily, so there is a need to assess the pros and cons of all possible solutions, before selecting which one fits best .
Civil engineering is a wonderful discipline as it offers a wide range of activities across a variety of other disciplines which include: Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transport Engineering and Hydraulic Engineering.
The knowledge of the above listed skills will help every young aspiring and current student know what is needed to be a better engineer and have a great career.