- THE RETURN OF THE GARDEN CITY
- THE YOUNG ENGINEERS VIEW: WHERE DO YOU STAND?
- Protecting lives and livelihoods: CESA unpacks skills development and sustainability in the construction industry
- Building Long Term Power Partnerships
- Electric mining vehicles and fast battery chargers are set to offer safer and more sustainable mining in Africa
Djibouti is a semi-presidential republic. They gained their independence from France on 27, June 1977.
Djibouti is a tiny country in northeast Africa. It is bordered by Eritrea to the north, Somalia to the southeast and Ethiopia to the south and west. In this country you get to enjoy an arid desert climate with little rainfall and high temperatures all year round. The official languages are French and Arabic while the other languages spoken are Somali and Afar. Nearly 94% of the population is Muslim while the remaining 6% are Christian.
Historical Djibouti facts show us that the French and Afar ethnic group did not easily let go of French rule. The mostly Somali population voted for independence not once, not twice, but three times!. It is also home to the only United States military base in Africa.
Residents here are known as Djiboutians and its capital is Djibouti; it covers an area of 240 square miles.
Djibouti has one of the saltiest bodies of water in the world Lake Assal! In fact, it’s even saltier than the famous Dead Sea. they also boasts of many beautiful wild animals, including zebras, gazelles, hyenas, jackals, antelopes and warthogs.
Djiboutian Franc is the official currency here. They grow fruits and vegetables; they also rear goats, sheep and camels. Its industry consists of construction, shipping and agricultural processing. The main exports are re-exports including hides, skins and coffee.
Djibouti is the third smallest country in continental Africa. Furthermore, it is the eight smallest country in Africa. It is the smallest country in the Horn of Africa